Blog photo

Blog photo
co.de.pen.dence (co.di.pen´.dens) n. [root ME. dependaunce <> Also written co-dependence. The condition or fact of being codependent; specifically, a) tendency to place the needs and wants of others first and to the exclusion of acknowledging one's own, b) continued investment of self-esteem in the ability to control both oneself and others, c) anxiety and boundary distortions relating to intimacy and separation, d) difficulty expressing feelings, e) excessive worry how others may respond to one's feelings, f) undue fear of being hurt and/or rejected by others, g) self-esteem dependent on approval by others, h) tendency to ignore own values and attempt to adhere to the values of others.

Saturday, September 5, 2015

No One is Alone

It's been 3 1/2 years since my last post on this blog. So much has happened, and I've learned SO much over that period of time. Even with all that's happened, and all that I've learned, I still struggle almost daily with codependent tendencies, in one way or another. But I CAN say that my improvement with codependence, while still difficult and painful, has been exciting and liberating! I've also learned on this 3 1/2 year journey that I have been struggling with symptoms of PTSD and anxiety. This came forward for me shortly after my last post in Feb. of 2012. 

In my past posts, I really wanted the focus to be on the positive side of healing and what I was experiencing. The problem with that for me now, is that even my posts were tainted with codependency, as I was afraid of saying the wrong thing, offending someone, or not having approval of my feelings. Well....I can honestly say that I am not the same woman I was then, and this blog will from now on be a raw, open, honest and revealing look at the good, the bad, and ugly that is codependence!

Along with codependence, I'm also learning so much about different forms of abuse, and PTSD. These topics will likely overlap in my writing because they are a huge part of my daily recovery. They are all a part of why I am, and where I am. But not WHO I am.  

After talking to SO many friends and acquaintances about relationships, divorce, abuse, stress, anxiety, and so on, it's SO apparent that codependency is everywhere. From mild to severe it's all around us! My story is my own, but it's also COMMON. This is what I didn't really recognize until this year. I've had more people talk to me about their relationships with family or friends or spouses who struggle with addictions, depression, mental illness and more. A close friend of mine asked me to start blogging my thoughts and feelings on these topics from my perspective. She and I have discussed these issues and she often comes to me for advice. I've never thought my perspective was anything special, but if it can spark some thinking and moving steps for anyone else on their road to understanding and recovery, then I WANT to share what I can to help.

I am NOT a therapist. I am NOT a counselor nor do I have a degree in Psychology or Sociology. I have simply LIVED through what a lot of those people get paid to diagnose and treat. That is the perspective I'm coming from.

My goal is to post every Sunday. Tomorrow will start with an open and candid view into my decision to end my marriage and begin a NEW journey to recovery.
Please feel free to comment or share. There are so many who feel alone in their situations. But like one of my favorite Broadway Musical songs states, "No One Is Alone."

No comments: